1949 Armistice Agreements/ Occupied Palestinian Territory since 1967

During the course of the 1948 war, the Israeli forces occupied additional territory beyond that allocated to the Jewish State in the UN Partition Plan, totalling approximately half of the territory alloted to the Arab State, in addition to the western part of Jerusalem. After the war, Israel extended its laws and regulations to those territories and never withdrew to the partition lines. As a result, approximately 78% of the territory of Palestine came under Israeli control. The remaining areas of Palestine, approximately 22%, came under Arab control (Jordan and Egypt).

In the course of 1949, and with UN mediation, Israel concluded armistice agreements with Jordan, Egypt, Syria, and Lebanon. The armistice agreements were based on military considerations and do not prejudice the rights, claims and positions of the parties with regard to the settlement of the Palestine Question.

The Hashemite Jordan Kingdom-Israel General Armistice Agreement set a line of what came to be known as the West Bank, which includes East Jerusalem, which came under Jordanian control (there is also a so-called “no man’s land” which separates East Jerusalem from West Jerusalem). The Egyptian-Israeli General Armistice Agreement set a line of what came to be known as the Gaza Strip, which came under Egyptian control.

Both the West Bank and the Gaza Strip (along with the Sinai and the Syrian Golan) were occupied by Israel in the 1967 War until today.

GEOGRAPHY of the Occupied Palestinian Territory

West Bank, including East Jerusalem

Location: Middle East, west of Jordan

Geographic Coordinates: 32 00 N, 35 15 E

Total Area: 5, 860 sq. km.
*includes the northwest quarter of the Dead Sea

Land Area: 5, 640 sq. km.
*includes the “No-man’s Land” separating East & West Jerusalem

Land Boundaries
Total: 404 km
Border Countries: Israel 307 km (1949 Armistice Line), Jordan 97 km
Coastline: 0 km (landlocked)
Major Cities: East Jerusalem, Bethlehem, Hebron (Al-Khalil), Ramallah, Nablus, Jenin, Tulkarem, Qalqiliya
Climate: Mediterranean with hot, dry summers and short, wet, cool winters

Geology: Mostly rugged dissected upland, with some vegetationin th east but barren in the west; surface rocks are most marine sediments, limestone and chalk. Because most rocks are porous, most water is contained in underground rock layers forming aquifer systems.

Lowest point: Dead Sea –408 m
Hightest Point: Tall Asur 1, 022 m

Gaza Strip

Location: Middle East, bordering the Mediterranean Sea to the West, between Israel and Egypt

Geographic Coordinates: 31 25 N, 34 20 E

Total Area: 360 sq. km.
Land Area: 360 sq. km.
Water: 0 sq. km.
Land Boundaries
Total: 62 km
Border Countries: Israel 51 km., Egypt 11 km

Coastline: 40 km.

Major Cities: Gaza, Beit Hanoun, Deir al-Balah, Khan Yunis, rafah

Climate: Mediterranean, temperate, mild winters, dry and hot summers

Geology: flat to rolling, sand and dune covered coastal plain

Lowest Point: Mediterranean Sea 0 m
Hightest Point: Joz Abu ‘Awdah 105 m