On the basis of the Palestine National Charter and the Political
Program drawn up at the eleventh session, held from 6-12 January 1997; and from its belief
that it is impossible for a permanent and just peace to be established in the area unless
our Palestinian people recover from all their national rights and, first and foremost,
their rights to return and to self-determination on the whole of the soil of their
homeland; and in the light of a study of the new political circumstances that have come
into existence in the period between the Councils last and present sessions,
resolves the following:
1. To reaffirm the Palestine Liberation Organizations previous
attitude to Resolution 242, which obliterates the national right of our people and deals
with the cause of our people as a problem of refugees. The Council therefore refuses to
have anything to do with this resolution at any level, Arab or international, including
the Geneva Conference.
2. The Palestine Liberation Organization will employ all means, and first
and foremost armed struggle, to liberate Palestinian territory and to establish the
independent combatant national authority for the people over every part of Palestinian
territory that is liberated. This will require further changes being effected in the
balance of power in favor of our people and their struggle.
3. The Liberation Organization will struggle against any proposal for a
Palestinian entity the price of which is recognition, peace, secure frontiers,
renunciation of national rights, and the deprival of our people of their right to return
and their right to self-determination on the soil of their homeland.
4. Any step taken towards liberation is a step towards the realization of
the Liberation Organizations strategy of establishing the democratic Palestinian
State specified in the resolutions of the previous Palestinian National Councils.
5. Struggle along with the Jordanian national forces to establish a
Jordanian-Palestinian national front whose aim will be to set up in Jordan a democratic
national authority in close contact with the Palestinian entity that is established
through the struggle.
6. The Liberation Organization will struggle to establish unity in
struggle between the two peoples and between all the forces of the Arab liberation
movement that are in agreement on this program.
7. In the light of this program, the Liberation Organization will struggle
to strengthen national unity and to raise it to the level where it will be able to perform
its national duties and tasks.
8. Once it is established, the Palestinian national authority will strive
to achieve a union of the confrontation countries, with the aim of completing the
liberation of all Palestinian territory, and as a step along the road to comprehensive
9. The Liberation Organization will strive to strengthen its solidarity
with the socialist countries, and with the forces of liberation and progress throughout
the world, with the aim of frustrating all the schemes of Zionism, reaction and
10. In light of this program, the leadership of the revolution will
determine the tactics which will serve and make possible the realization of thee
The Executive Committee of the Palestine Liberation Organization will
make every effort to implement this program, and should a situation arise affecting the
destiny and the future of the Palestinian people, the National Assembly will be convened
in extraordinary session.